A free PS1 emulator with support for plugins, ROMs and several different games that can function with wireless controls such as those for Windows, PlayStation or Xbox.
ePSXe is a PS1 console emulator able to play discs issued for the original PlayStation system on your Windows Desktop. Though in order to be able to play these games you will require the PSX Bios which is only available if you are legally entitled to it. You can obtain the PSX Bios by using an action replay or by utilizing a gameshark.
This program, though, will give you the opportunity to play your old PSX games directly on your Windows desktop.
This latest version of ePSXe has not been updated in a while, though the latest update did improve a number of features including support for many games which tended to crash and the MDEC coder has been redone.
Features of ePSXe
- Audio: Enjoy high-quality sound from the original PlayStation games.
- Cheat Codes: Enter and activate cheats with ease.
- Compatibility: Play games from various PlayStation systems.
- Customizable Controls: Create custom controller profiles to fit your hands perfectly.
- Disc Image Support: Load games from various disc image formats.
- HD Graphics: Enhance your gaming experience with support for HD graphics.
- High Speed: Enjoy smooth and responsive gameplay with the improved CPU emulation and better graphics processing.
- Memory Cards: Create and manage multiple virtual memory cards.
- Multiple Languages: Play games in different languages.
- Network Play: Play with friends over a local network or the Internet.
- OpenGL: Utilize OpenGL for more efficient rendering.
- Plugins: Take advantage of several plugins for enhanced performance.
- Save States: Quickly save and load your game progress anywhere.
- Shader Effects: Enhance the visuals with advanced shader effects.
Compatibility and License
ePSXe is provided under a freeware license on Windows from console emulators with no restrictions on usage. Download and installation of this PC software is free and 2.2.0 is the latest version last time we checked.